Wednesday 24 March 2010

Sledges and Quotes


Like every good sport, cricket has its amazing and memorable quotes, and i’d like to share a few classics with you now:

Cricket civilizes people and creates good gentlemen I want everyone to play cricket in Zimbabwe; I want ours to be a nation of gentlemen - Robert Mugabe.

The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey - Brian Johnston - referring to Michael Holding and Peter Willey

Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than what they hide – Unknown.

I smiled at Ricky Ponting. He didn't smile back. He was in a terrible temper for some reason. Quite why he was blaming me when his partner, Damien Martyn, had called him for a suicidal single to cover, I don't know. You know what's more? All the palaver caused me to burn my toast! - Duncan Fletcher on the fallout from the infamous Gary Pratt run out.

Mark Waugh: F**k me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here, there's no way you're good enough to play for England.
James Ormond: Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family!

Don't bother shutting it, son, you won't be there long enough - Fred Truman to incoming Aussie batsman as he opened the gate on his way out to the middle at Lord's.

The aim of English cricket is, in fact, mainly to beat Australia - Jim Laker.

Aussies are big and empty, just like their country - Ian Botham.

Merv is a funny guy, though he would sledge his own mother if he thought it would help the cause - Gladstone Small.

Shane Warne is thicker than a complete set of Wisden yearbooks - Matt Price.

That ball went so high it could have got an air hostess down with it – Sidhu.

The gap between bat and pad is so wide you could have driven a car through – Sidhu.

I bowl my best when I am fittest and the best way to get fit is to bowl. That's how you get your rhythm. You cannot really find a rhythm by bowling in the nets - Brett Lee.

Aussie fan to Phil Tuffnell - Oi Tuffers, lend us your brain, I'm trying to build an idiot!

GREG THOMAS (GLAMORGAN) v VIV RICHARDS (SOMERSET, WINDIES)
During a county championship match Thomas beat Richards' outside edge a couple of times. He called out to the legend: "It's red, round and weighs about five ounces in case you were wondering." The very next ball the master smashed Thomas out of the ground, into a river, and replied: "Greg, you know what it looks like. Now go and find it."

No comments:

Post a Comment